To help you understand what I mean, here are a few rules of thumb I prescribe for parents during playtime...
FOLLOW, DON’T LEAD. When it comes to play, your child is better at it than you are. Know your place and follow her lead (unless safety becomes an issue).
And no matter what, remember, playtime is for both of you, so relax and go for the ride!
THE OVER-UNDER JOURNEY! Playing collaborative games equalizes the playing field for your child while giving you a perfect, kids-eye-view of life! Next time you have a few minutes, try taking an Over-Under Journey and you might just be amazed where the two of you end up!
- Go OVER THE HILL (stand tall and let your child climb all the way up you!)
- Go UNDER THE BRIDGE (form a bridge with your body or legs and let your child climb under)
- Go OVER THE TICKLE TIGER (lie down on your back and have your child climb over your tummy -- tickling as she goes!)
- GO UNDER GATE (lie on the floor and raise one leg in the air up and down. Have your child scoot through the gate.)
- Go OVER THE TEA POT (sit on the floor and form the shape of a tea pot. As your child climbs over you, whistle like a tea pot!
- Go UNDER THE PUDDLE (lie down on the floor tummy-side down. Have your child "swim" underneath you)
- GO OVER THE WORM (wiggle like a worm on the floor and have your child climb over you from head to toe)
- GO UNDER THE TUNNEL. (sit on the floor with your knees up and have your child climb through)